SLS11 Networking and Kickoff
Mary Graydon Center 2-6 (4400 Massachusetts Ave. NW)
Join us for the 2011 Social Learning Summit Kickoff! With networking, light hors d'ouevres, an outstanding keynote speech by Peter Corbett, CEO of DC's own iStrategyLabs, and a rockstar panel, we hope to kick off our first annual SLS with a bang.
- Speaker/Moderator: Peter Corbett, CEO, iStrategyLabs (@corbett3000) - Peter Corbett is the founder and CEO of iStrategyLabs – an interactive agency that develops creative solutions to clients’ challenges and brings them to life in the digital and physical world. He’s widely known for his creative marketing approaches coupled with a deep technical background, and a focus on civic innovation through community building.
- Eddie Lee, Social Media Producer, United States Department of Education - Eddie Lee is the social media producer for the U.S. Department of Education and the Youth Outreach Coordinator for the White House Initiative on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders. His documentaries and online videos have been viewed over 1 million times on YouTube. He is also the co-founder of a non-profit video production group called the Jubilee Project, which produces online viral videos to raise awareness and funds for non-profit organizations. In eight months, he produced 40 videos that received 940 thousand views and raised over 22 thousand dollars for non-profit organizations. He was a state New Media director on the Obama campaign where he produced over 75 online videos. He graduated Harvard University in 2009 with a bachelors degree in government.
- Yong Lee, Acting Director, SMCEDU (@yongclee) - Yong Lee is a graduate of the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, where he received a B.S. in Information Systems. A former software developer, he currently directs Social Media Club for Education (SMCEDU), an initiative that seeks to advance social media in higher education. He hosts a weekly Twitter chat on these topics every Monday at 12:30pmET under the #smcedu hashtag. Yong also serves as a project assistant in the Center for New Designs in Learning and Scholarship (CNDLS) at Georgetown University.
- Alex Priest, President and Founder, AU Social Media Club (@alexpriest) - Alex is the founder and president of the AU Social Media Club. An American University senior, Alex is pursuing a dual-degree in marketing and public communications, with a minor in statistics. Alex has a passion for not only social media, but for learning and for finding innovative ways of improving higher education. In the past, he’s worked with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, the American Legacy Foundation, MS&L PR, the Consumer Electronics Association, TechChange, and the United States Institute of Peace.
- Scott Talan, Assistant Professor, AU School of Communication (@talan) - Scott Talan, MPA, has worked in media, PR, and communications in four distinct fields: TV News, Politics, Nonprofits and Higher Education. Scott worked at the United Nations, Harvard University and the New Mexico Legislature. He recently served as the Director of Communications for the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs. Before news, Talan was as an elected city council member and Mayor of Lafayette, California. His first career was in nonprofit communications working for the March of Dimes. Talan received his Master in Public Administration from Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government, studied broadcast journalism at Stanford after getting his BA from the University of California at Davis.